Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Home Visits

"Lord, help me be uncomfortable."

Up until two days before leaving for Guatemala, I was not nervous at all about anything related to my trip. That fact made me nervous. When I get "okay" with the way things are going, I tend to think I can do everything on my own and don't need the Lord.

In that moment, I asked the Lord to make me uncomfortable.

And He did. Unfortunately that led to anxiety and fear and lots of tears. When I got to Guatemala, these emotions changed from anxiety to nerves about the upcoming trip. I knew I needed to leave it in the Lord's more-than-capable hands. That, however, is easier said than done.

I was nervous about translating VBS materials, relating to the American and Guatemalan students, and most of all...

HOME VISITS

Home visits are the most terrifying and most wonderful thing of any mission trip I have been a part of here in Guatemala. It is a practice many of the churches use here to reach out to families who may need some extra encouragement from the church (because of sickness, lack of ability to come to church, absence, etc.).

A group of American students prepare verses and encouraging stories for a situation that they usually don't know beforehand.

As a translator, home visits are the most nerve-wracking for me for many reasons:
1) Will I understand everything?
2) Will the verses and encouragement be accepted?
3) Will I be able to accurately share the stories the Americans have to share?

Lots of questions fill my mind as I prepare for home visits. Many times they keep me from enjoying the moments I am in as I worry about the future.

So far, we have been on two home visits. Let me tell you...they were horrible!

Just kidding...they went so well! They were probably the best home visits I have ever been on. Not only was I placed with a fantastic group of students, but there are also 2 others who speak Spanish and can help with translating. In addition, the people we have visited have been fantastic.

One couple was suffering in their health and could not come to church. They are one of 2 families in their small town that believe in Jesus. The church visits them every week. The elder told me, "They can't come to us, so we go to them." How encouraging!

The other woman we visited was one of the founders of the church. She is 90 years old and is an example for the people of perseverance. Her family was a beautiful picture of generations of believers. As we sat in the room with many members of the family, they gave glory to God for the health that she has had and the legacy she has left. They then shared some food and drink with us before one of the daughters showed us her garden.

I love it when God makes me uncomfortable. Although I don't always love it in the moment, I am ALWAYS amazed at how God uses these situations to make me more dependent on Him. When I am dependent, I can take credit for nothing and honestly give all glory to Him. I'm praying that my dependence on Him continues to grow, so it becomes easier and easier to glorify Him as I let him lead.





No comments:

Post a Comment